13 days ago
Esmeralda County School District
M. Neil Terhune Ed. D.
Physical: MM 11 Hwy 264
Dyer, Nevada 89010
Mailing: P.O. Box 129
Dyer, Nevada 89010
Dyer Office 775-572-3250
Dyer Office Fax 775-572-3310
Goldfield Office 775-485-3511
Goldfield Office Fax 775-572-3310
Please be advised that the District is experiencing intermittent internet connection issues and our VoIP is not working properly. Please call 775-572-3101 for immediate assistance, Monday through Thursday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
*A translated copy of this document will be made available upon request by calling 775-572-3250.
* Una copia traducida de este documento estará disponible a pedido llamando al 775-572-3250.
Superintendent Board Report July 2020
General Comments: The NDE procedure for the reopening of our schools for In-Person Instruction is about complete. The District Reopening Committee met July 14th and then a couple of follow up meetings have resulted in a reopening plan. It is attached and the Board will be asked to approve it July 21. The District website posted, Framework for a Safe, Efficient, and Equitable Return to School Buildings dated June 24, 2020 a couple of weeks ago. This was the guidance given to Districts for the reopening of our schools and was our initial communication for parents and community. We sent another letter to parents letting them know that we are working out the details and would keep them apprised. Our intent is to create a learning environment as normal as possible and still abide by the State Directives.
Teachers/Students: We reported last meeting that we will be using the 75 student enrollment number for our DSA estimate. It looks like it may be over 80 due to some increases in GF. We will continue to use 75 for budget planning for now. Our staff structure will be as reported in June’s Board Report.
Summer School is still underway. Tina’s Summer Literacy Interventions last month will certainly help our struggling readers this year. Linda and Rob are presently holding their Summer programs. We have 6-8 students in both her classes and in his STEAM camp. Some of his learning is a blended approach of on-site and online.
We have two students enrolled in our Virtual HS. Rob is acting as the Director of that program until we can get a Counselor on board.
We will be asking the Boards approval of Angela Garcia (part time) for a vacant full-time position for some of the District Administrative Assistant responsibilities. The rest will be shared by a temporary employee in GF.
We are still working on filling the Counselor position.
Once we have our Playground equipment replaced, we will have completed 90% of our physical safety plan. We will continue to reinforce our operational drills and step up our coordination with First Responders.
Our reopening plan was sent to POOL/PACT and Jeff Kaye.
Jeff Kaye sent us the following Annexes for our Safety Plan. I forwarded his email with attachments for your information. You have already approved the plan without the functional Annexes. I do not believe that you are required to formally approve these, but it is information you should be aware of.
1. Standardized All-Hazards District Master Emergency Operations Plan.
2. Active Assailant Response Annex.
3. Continuity Of Operations Plan Annex.
4. Earthquake Response Annex.
5. Pandemic Response Annex.
6. Student/Family Reunification Annex.
District Facilities Update.
Painting, repairing and cleaning at all sites.
Mike is still working on getting a Judge Wanker’s order for ownership of the 1/3 acre and there appears to be some thought that the Board needs to approve a Resolution to sell even before the property is clearly titled to us? I have not talked to Mike on this but have made a minor change to the Resolution that states the district is selling when or if the land is legally titled to the District. I have given up on our initial Broker for a Broker’s Opinion of appraisal and asked Nancy Rippie to give us one. Nancy has not responded as of today’s report, but I will reach out to her again.
We will have bids for playground construction for you on Tuesday. FYI, I have attached the bid information that we sent out.
The Athletic Field is coming along. We hope to have an order for inside track curbing in place next week. It will take a couple of months to construct and then ship to us. Brian has some landscaping experience and will be a great help with the grass and trees.
As previously stated, Anabel, Wendy and Bill Kirby have worked diligently with the tentative information we have, to place an appropriate budget proposal before the board last month. It is still holding for now. As predicted by Anabel it appears our ending fund balance will be very close if not a bit more than what was given at the May Budget Hearing. The end of year proceeds from the County were close enough to what we expected, and our budget will hold as presented in May. AB3 could affect us but we have it covered if approved.
No word yet from Ryan Russell of Allison-MacKenzie on behalf of Jeff Zander Consulting in requesting that the state defer the SB543 an additional year.
Once again…Thank you for who you are and for your support of the District. Stay Safe. 😊